Dementia Support and Information for Carers
The Central Norfolk Admiral Nurse Service works alongside families affected by dementia to provide one-to-one support and expert guidance. Referrals should be made through your GP. The service is currently available for people with dementia and their carers registered with the GP practices listed at the following link: https://www.dementiauk.org/get-support/find-an-admiral-nurse/ For further information please contact the Norfolk office on Tel 01603 679693 from Monday to Friday between 9.00 and 5.00pm (excluding bank holidays).
Admiral Nurse Dementia Helpline – Tel 0800 888 6678 is available for advice and support from 9.00am to 9.00pm Monday to Friday, and from 9.00am to 5.00pm during the weekend.
You can also send an e-mail to : email@example.com
Age UK Norfolk offers information and advice to the public on a wide range of issues. For free, confidential advice – Tel 0300 500 1217 Monday to Friday between 10.00am and 4.00pm. A weekly list of care home vacancies in Norfolk for both respite and longer term may be viewed on the Age UK Norfolk website.
Bluebird Care is one of the UK’s leading homecare and live-in care agencies. There is an agency in Norwich which serves North Norfolk. For further information please ring 0845 017 8205 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Home Instead Senior Care is a company that provides quality care for people in their own homes. There is an office in Holt. Contact: Rebecca Trezise – Tel 01263 650983.
The Dementia Action Alliance brings together organisations from across England which are committed to transforming the lives of people with dementia and their carers. Further information may be found on the following link: Holt Dementia Action Alliance.
The Glaven Centre in Blakeney provides day care as well as personal services for older people on Monday, Wednesday and Friday 9.00am to 3.30pm. Transport to and from the centre can be provided by the Glaven minibus. Contact: Maureen Buckey – Tel 01263 740762 or 740103.
The Holt Area Caring Society (HACS) is an organisation which takes clients to medical appointments from Holt and neighbouring villages. For more information please see the
Holt Area Caring Society website or Tel 01263 711243.
Norfolk Carers Helpline – Tel 0808 808 9876 freephone 9.00am to 5.00pm Monday to Friday; 10.00am to 2.00pm Saturdays.
Norfolk Swift Response – Tel 0344 800 8020 and then select Option 1. This is a 24/7 direct ‘Swift Line’ that responds to unplanned or urgent social care needs. Help will be sent immediately if required.
Royal Voluntary Service: Home and Well in North Norfolk – Tel 01603 397998
The RVS offers this service to put you in contact with any support you may need before going into and/or returning home from hospital. It also offers other services, nationwide, for older people.
Therapy Directory – Connecting you with professional support www.therapy-directory.org.uk
Chill4UsCarers – The Charity that Cares 24 hours a day for Carers and Past Carers chill4us.com
Details of Care and Nursing Homes www.carehome.co.uk
NHS Guide to Dementia and Services www.nhs.uk/dementia
Publications and Guidance on Dementia www.mentalhealth.org.uk
Reading Well Books on Prescription for dementia recommends books you might find helpful if you have dementia, are caring for someone with dementia or would like to find out more about the condition. The books provide information and advice, support for living well, advice for relatives and carers, and personal stories. They are endorsed by health professionals and can all be found in the local library. www.reading-well.org.uk
The following links may also be of use: Please click on the headings for more information.
- Ben’s Workforce – Tel 01263 826854 Repair and maintenance service for older people in Norfolk, a part of the Benjamin Foundation. Basic repairs undertaken, shelves put up, furniture assembled, dripping taps fixed; also able to do minor decorating work.
- The Royal British Legion ‘Handy Vans’ provide Armed Forces personnel, both serving and ex-Service, and their families with home repairs and maintenance, allowing them to remain in their own homes. For further information please call 0800 032 0306.
- Holt Laptop Centre – Tel 01263 711622 16 Chapel Yard, Albert Street, Holt, NR25 6HG
– repairs and services laptops, tablets and personal computers
– sells refurbished laptops, tablets and a wide range of accessories
- Holidays and outdoor activities Dementia Adventure connects people living with dementia with nature and a sense of adventure.
- Music Mirrors – How to create one
A Music Mirror is a brief life story in our own words, with sounds and music embedded to spark memories later.
- Music Memories is a BBC website where you can make playlists of your favourite pieces of classical and popular music, as well as listen to television theme tunes from archive programmes. https://musicmemories.bbcrewind.co.uk/